'So,' said he, smiling, 'it was you, then. I thought that it must be when I saw the door open.'
'不錯,'他微笑地説,'果然是你,當我看見門開着,我想一定是你。'
'Oh, I am so frightened!' I panted.
'啊,可把我嚇死了!'我喘着氣説。
'My dear young lady! my dear young lady!' you cannot think how caressing and soothing his manner was
'我親愛的年輕小姐!我親愛的年輕小姐!'你料想不出他的態度有多麼親熱,多麼體貼,
'and what has frightened you, my dear young lady?'
'是什麼把你嚇成這個樣子,我親愛的年輕小姐?'
But his voice was just a little too coaxing. He overdid it. I was keenly on my guard against him.
但是他説話的聲音簡直就象在哄孩子。他做得太過分了,我是處處提防着他的。
'I was foolish enough to go into the empty wing,' I answered.
'我夠傻的,走到那邊的空房子裏去了,'我回答説。
'But it is so lonely and eerie in this dim light that I was frightened and ran out again.
'但是,在昏暗的光線下,那裏是多麼淒涼,多麼可怕呀!嚇得我又跑了出來。
Oh, it is so dreadfully still in there!'
啊,那裏面死沉沉地寂靜得可怕!'
'Only that?' said he, looking at me keenly.
'只是那麼一些?'他尖鋭地瞧着我説。
'Why, what did you think?' I asked.
'怎麼啦?你是怎麼想的?'我問他。
'Why do you think that I lock this door?'
'我把這個門鎖上你是怎麼想的?'
'I am sure that I do not know.'
'我確實不知道。'
'It is to keep people out who have no business there. Do you see?'
'就是不讓閒人走進去,你明白嗎?'
He was still smiling in the most amiable manner.
他還是用那無比親切的模樣微笑着。
'I am sure if I had known...'
'要是我早知道,我肯定...'
'Well, then, you know now. And if you ever put your foot over that threshold again'
'那麼,好啦,你現在知道啦!如果你再把你的腳跨過那門檻...'
here in an instant the smile hardened into a grin of rage, and he glared down at me with the face of a demon
説到這裏,他的微笑片刻之間變成齜牙咧嘴的獰笑,一張臉象魔鬼似地瞪着我,
'I'll throw you to the mastiff.'
'我就把你扔給那條獒犬。'